I often do this recipe with left over boerewors from a braai. Boerewors is a typical South African spicy sausage directly translated "boere" (Farmers) "wors" (Sausage). A braai is just not quite a braai without boerewors sizzling over the fire.
1 large Onion (finely chopped)
2 tsp Crushed garlic
5ml smoked paprika
2,5ml caraway seeds
2 medium potatoes (peeled and diced)
10ml powdered beef stock (or 1 cube)
1 tin (410g) chopped tomato and onion
10ml tomato paste
1 tin (410g) mixed beans
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
* Heat the oil in a large saucepan, and brown the boerewors.
* Add the onions and fry until translucent
* Add the garlic, potatoes, paprika, and caraway. Fry for a further minute or so.
* Add the Tomato tin, tomato paste, beef stock and the water. Simmer for about 40 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
* Lastly add in the tin of beans. Season to taste
Tips and Suggestions:
* Add a fresh chili or a dash of Cayenne pepper to spice it up.
* You could supplement the boerwors for another type of spicy sausage such as Chorizo
* Serve with crusty home bread.
* I love cubes of cheese (Gouda) dropped over my soup just before eating.
* For more fabulous recipe ideas have a look at my recipe index page
* For nutritional info, and the shopping list you will need for this recipe, click on the "magic" button
This post links to:
Fabulous Savoury Recipes Pinterest
Fabulous Food Recipes G+
Please visit my "I link to... Page" to link up with the sites below
Recipe Sharing Community G+
Foodies Online G+
Food Bloggers G+
Google+ Share Tribe G+
From the Farm Blog Hop
Pin It Party
Strut your Stuff
Pincentive Blog Hop
All my Bloggy Friends
Tuesdays with a Twist
Down Home Blog Hop
Lovely Ladies Linky
Pinterest Power Party
You might also like:
MEILIE 'PAP' or 'PUTU' This is the staple diet of the majority of South African's, made from maize meal , which is grou...
SWEETCORN BAKE I love this recipe, and I end up making it a lot to go with a braai (barbeque). Really fabulous and different to the norma...
STUFFED CALAMARI TUBES with SWEET CHILLI Ingredients for the stuffing 2 Tbls (15ml) oil 1 Onion 1 tsp (5ml) crushed garlic 1 sm...
APPLE and PINEAPPLE CRUMBLE This is such a lovely easy desserts, or for tea. Kids love to help with crumbling the butter into the flour -...
This is a very typical South African dessert. Quick, simple, very yummy and looks fabulous! Ingredients: 3 Peppermint Crisps 1 P...