DELICIOUS RICH TOMATO LAMB STEW
Winter is on it's way sneaking into our normally warm Northern KZN climate. Stews are a real winter warmer meal. Thick, rich with loads of veg and healthy goodness. I love a stew served the real South African way - which of course is with mielie 'pap' or 'putu' (maize meal - the stale diet of most South Africans), to soak up all that fab gravy. A good stew takes some time, and it is best to relax, preferably with a glass of good red whilst whilst ambling about the kitchen.
Ingredients for the Stew
1 kg Stewing lamb pieces, trimmed of excess fat
Black Pepper, milled
1 onion, sliced
1 tsp (5ml) Garlic, crushed
1/2 caspium Red Pepper, chopped
1 stick Celery, chopped
1 tsp (5ml) Brown Sugar
200ml Red wine
200ml Beef Stock
2 Tbls (30ml) Tomato Paste
6 Tomatoes, chopped
1 bay leaf
2 tsps (10ml) fresh Rosemary, chopped (or 1/2 tsp dried)
2 tsps (10ml) fresh Oregano, chopped (or 1/2 tsp dried)
1/2 tsp (2,5ml) Smoked paprika
1 Tbls (15ml) Balsamic vinegar
1 Tbls (15ml) Fresh lemon juice
1 Carrot, chopped
2 Baby marrows (zucchini), chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Method for the Stew:
- Put meat into a heavy based pot, grind black peeper over it and brown the meat slowly over a lowish heat. I find I don't need any extra oil, as the meat supplies it's own fat. But you may need a dash, depending on the meat.
- Add the onions once the meat starts browning, cook until onions are translucent
- Add the garlic, red pepper and half the celery, cook for a few minutes.
- add the sugar, red wine, beef stock and tomato paste.
- Add the chopped tomatoes herbs, spices, and vinegar. Simmer on low heat for about 1 and 1/2 hours.
- Add the lemon juice carrots, marrow, salt and pepper. Simmer for about another 45 minutes until meat is tender, and liquid has reduced to a nice rich gravy.
* I love my stew sprinkled with just a dash of cayenne pepper. Try it, it brings out all the flavour.
* For the mielie pap recipe go here
* also great served with mashed potato or rice.
This post links to:
Fab Savoury Recipes
Best Blog Recipes
This Gal Cooks
Shabby Creek Cottage
Fresh Eggs Daily
You might also like:
MEILIE 'PAP' or 'PUTU' This is the staple diet of the majority of South African's, made from maize meal , which is grou...
SWEETCORN BAKE I love this recipe, and I end up making it a lot to go with a braai (barbeque). Really fabulous and different to the norma...
STUFFED CALAMARI TUBES with SWEET CHILLI Ingredients for the stuffing 2 Tbls (15ml) oil 1 Onion 1 tsp (5ml) crushed garlic 1 sm...
APPLE and PINEAPPLE CRUMBLE This is such a lovely easy desserts, or for tea. Kids love to help with crumbling the butter into the flour -...
DELICIOUS RICH TOMATO LAMB STEW Winter is on it's way sneaking into our normally warm Northern KZN climate. Stews are a real winter wa...