Every now and then I just love fried potato chips (or french fries). I'm not really fond of 'shlap' chips that they serve in fast food places - seriously - those are just so not cooked enough. In my opinion they need to be a lovely golden brown and a bit crispy. This is my recipe that works perfectly every time. Easy, simple and yummy. if the peels on the potatoes are nice - leave them on.
Potatoes, (work on about 2 potatoes per person)
A generous sprinkling of salt
sunflower oil (enough to just cover the potatoes)
- Put the oil in a deep pan to heat up
- Slice the potatoes thinly in sticks.
- Sprinkle the raw potato chips with salt (this is the trick to their crunchiness)
- Check that the oil is hot enough by putting one potato stick in the oil. It must frizzle and rise to the surface.
- Add all the raw potato chips, carefully one handful at a time.
- Turn the whole lot over a couple of times to brown all over. Don't turn too often or too soon, else they turn to mush.
- Drain on newspaper
- Sprinkle with more salt, and paprika
You can re-use the sunflower oil a few times. I put mine in a large glass jar and store it in the fridge, until the next chip craving comes along