19 Dec 2013

Elderflower and Lemon Cordial

My elderberry tree (Sambucus nigra) in my veggie garden is a mass of flowers this year.  What better way to use them up, than by making an Elder-Flower cordial - oh so refreshing for our hot climate.
Ingredients
10 Large Elder-flower Heads
900g (2 lb) Sugar
3 Lemons Washed and sliced
25g (1 oz) Creme of Tartar (tartaric acid)
2 liters (3,5 pints) boiling water

Directions:
*  Lightly shake off or pick off any little bugs that may be on the flowers
*  Slice the lemons (peels and all)
*  Put Elder-flowers, lemons, creme of tartar and boiling water in a large bowel.
*  Cover and leave for 24 hours,  Stirring occasionally.
*  The next day, strain the liquid through a muslin cloth into a large jug.
*  Pour into sterilized bottles, and store in the fridge.
Makes about 2 liters
Keeps in the fridge for up to 3 months

To Serve:
*  Mix about 30ml or so with water or sparkling water for a very refreshing beverage.
*  For a refreshing sun-downer, try a tot of Elder-flower cordial with a tot of vodka or white rum, topped up with sparkling water crushed ice and lemon.

Tips and Suggestions:
*  For more fabulous recipe ideas have a look at this recipe index page

References, Additional Reading and Shopping:
Please kindly have a look at my "My Favourite things Store".
Here you will find a collection of hand-picked books (most of which are on my bookshelf) where I get a lot of information for my posts.  You will also find the items required to make a lot of the products found on my blog.   All my favourite things!!! 
(I receive a small commission for items purchased through my store - Thanks in advance for the support.)


This post links to:
Fab Sweet Recipes
Fabulous Farm Living G+
Fabulous Facebook Page
Fabulous Twitter Page
The Most Fabulous Link-up "Jol"
Please visit my "I link to... Page" to link up with the sites below
Recipes G+
Recipe Sharing Community G+
Foodies Online G+
Food Bloggers G+
Google+ Share Tribe G+
Creative Home and Garden Hop
Show me what you got
Pincentive Blog Hop
Create Link Inspire
Scoop
Brag about It
Bloggers Digest
Wonderful Wednesday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you kindly for taking the time to comment. Your input is greatly appreciated. Comments will be published after being checked for spam.

You might also like: